Synthetic drugs popular as use of opiates wanes
Drug use is moving away from cocaine and opiates and towards synthetic drugs such as amphetamines, the UN says.
In its World Drug Report it says it expects that soon there will be more people using synthetic drugs than opium, heroin and cocaine together.
The UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) also found that cocaine consumption has fallen significantly in the US in recent years.
But the number of cocaine users in Europe has doubled, it says.
We will not solve the world drug problem by shifting consumption from the developed to the developing world”
Antonio Maria CostaUN Office for Drugs and Crime
· West Africa's drug addiction
The shift in demand has led to South American drug cartels establishing new routes through West Africa.
Trafficking is causing instability in many developing countries, particularly in Africa and Latin America, the report says.
"People snorting coke in Europe are killing the pristine forests of the Andean countries and corrupting governments in West Africa", UNODC director Antonio Maria Costa said.
Shifting consumption
Developing countries are also seeing a rise in drug use, with heroin consumption up in eastern Africa and cocaine use up in West Africa and South America.
Demand for the synthetic drug ecstasy is falling or levelling off in Europe.
But the drug is becoming more popular in Asia.
"We will not solve the world drug problem by shifting consumption from the developed to the developing world", Mr Costa said.
In Europe the number of cocaine users has doubled to around four million in the last decade. The market is now worth $34bn, almost as much as that in North America.
However, world cocaine production has fallen by 12% to 18% in the past three years and the North American market is shrinking, thanks in part to police crackdowns in Colombia, a producer country, and transit country Mexico.
UNODC also found a downward trend in global heroin consumption.
It expects opium production to fall steeply in 2010 because of a blight that could wipe out a quarter of Afghanistan's poppy crop.
The United Nations reports that global drug use is changing. The U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime says that in the developing world, more people are using cocaine and heroin; whereas in the developed world, there is a rise in the use of synthetic drugs. The body reports that worldwide use of traditional drugs has gone down, while at the same time there has been a huge rise in the use of stimulants and prescription drugs. The UN estimates the global number of users of synthetic drugs is between 30 and 40 million. Antonio Maria Costa, director of the U.N. drug office, told reporters: "People are saying goodbye to heroin and they are nearly not so much enchanted by cocaine, but they are starting to use prescription drugs in amounts which make them addictive."
The report highlights a worrying trend of increased drug use in developing countries, especially in Asia and Africa. Mr Costa said demand for cocaine and heroin was growing on these two continents and that many governments did not have the resources to help addicts. "As a result," he said, "there is now the risk of a public health disaster in developing countries that would enslave masses of humanity to the misery of drug dependence." Costa also expresses his concern over the popularity of synthetic drugs. He warns there are “unlimited amounts of them, produced in mafia labs at trivial costs”. Costa also noted that globalization made it easier for illegal drug manufacturers to operate. They can be made near to their target markets and the raw materials are easy to find.
A) ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. How is European drug consumption affecting developing countries?
2. What developing countries have suffered from a rise in heroin,cocaine and ecstasy cosumption?
3. Why is the North American market decreasing?
4. What kind of drugs are people starting to take instead of cocaine and heroine?
5.Why is it easier for illegal drug manufacturers to expand their market?
B) Find in the text the English equivalent for the Spanish words below:
1. esninfar 2. moda,tendencia 3. destaca,señala 4. plaga 5. en estado impecable 6. reducir 7. esclavizar 8. bruscamente 9. ofensiva (policial) 10. materia prima.
QUIZ CHALLENGE
How Much Do YOU Know About Alcohol and Other Drugs?
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
Answer each of the following questions "true" or "false."
Then check the bottom of this page to see how many questions you answered right.
Then check the bottom of this page to see how many questions you answered right.
1. Alcohol is a drug.
2. Everyone reacts the same way to the same amount of alcohol.
3. A person can die of alcohol poisoning.
4. Alcoholism is a disease.
5. Alcoholic people can be helped.
6. Certain symptoms warn people that their drinking may lead to alcoholism.
7. Beer drinkers never develop alcoholism.
8. "Passing out" and "blacking out" are the same thing.
9. Alcohol is a stimulant.
10. Drinking coffee or taking a cold shower can help "sober up" a person who has had too much alcohol.
11. Two warning signs of an alcohol problem are blackouts and increased tolerance (needing to drink more and more to feel good).
12. Marijuana contains more cancer-producing elements than tobacco cigarettes.
13. Marijuana doesn't affect driving performance.
14. Cocaine is a stimulant.
15. Crack cocaine use will cause your heart and respiration (breathing) rates to decrease.
16. Dependency on heroin can develop within a few weeks of daily use.
If you want to read and find more about drugs here you are some links with some interesting articles:
Describe what the following posters depict:
DRUG ABUSE CROSSWORD PUZZLE
http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/body/drugabuse/print_crossword.html
Alcohol more dangerous than heroine says Prof David Nutt. http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/body/drugabuse/print_crossword.html
SONGS :
5 SONGS ABOUT DRUGS
Mother's Little Helper The Rolling Stones
From the point of view of The Stones and much of their audience, this hit exposes the hypocrisy of the proto soccer moms (and Roger Kaputnik from Mad Magazine type dads,for that matter) in using pills and, by extension, booze to get them through the day but condemning others for using other drugs.
The phrase soccer mom broadly refers to a middle-class suburban woman who spends a significant amount of her time transporting her school-age children to their sporting events or other activities. Indices of American magazines and newspapers show relatively little usage of the term until a 1995 Denver city council election. It came into widespread use during the 1996 United States presidential election.
Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, "Mother's Little Helper" was recorded in Los Angeles from 3 to 8 December 1965. It was released in the album "Aftermath" in 1966. The song deals with the darker perspective of the use of prescription drug "Valium" among housewives. This song is definitely one of the stones best early songs and was probably their best song until the release of Satisfaction.
Lyrics:
What a drag it is getting old
Kids are different today,
I hear every mother say
Mother needs something today to calm her down
And though shes not really ill
There's a little yellow pill
She goes running for the shelter of a mothers little helper
And it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day
Things are different today,
I hear every mother say
Cooking fresh food for a husbands just a drag
So she buys an instant cake and she burns her frozen steak
And goes running for the shelter of a mothers little helper
And two help her on her way, get her through her busy day
Doctor please, some more of these
Outside the door, she took four more
What a drag it is getting old
Men just aren't the same today
I hear every mother say
They just don't appreciate that you get tired
They're so hard to satisfy, you can tranquilize your mind
So go running for the shelter of a mothers little helper
And four help you through the night, help to minimize your plight
Reed)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can
'Cause it makes me feel like I'm a man
When I put a spike into my vein
And I'll tell ya, things aren't quite the same
When I'm rushing on my run
And I feel just like Jesus' son
And I guess that I just don't know
And I guess that I just don't know
I have made the big decision
I'm gonna try to nullify my life
'Cause when the blood begins to flow
When it shoots up the dropper's neck
When I'm closing in on death
And you can't help me not, you guys
And all you sweet girls with all your sweet talk
You can all go take a walk
And I guess that I just don't know
And I guess that I just don't know
I wish that I was born a thousand years ago
I wish that I'd sail the darkened seas
On a great big clipper ship
Going from this land here to that
In a sailor's suit and cap
Away from the big city
Where a man can not be free
Of all of the evils of this town
And of himself, and those around
Oh, and I guess that I just don't know
Oh, and I guess that I just don't know
Heroin, be the death of me
Heroin, it's my wife and it's my life
Because a mainer to my vein
Leads to a center in my head
And then I'm better off than dead
Because when the smack begins to flow
I really don't care anymore
About all the Jim-Jim's in this town
And all the politicians makin' busy sounds
And everybody puttin' everybody else down
And all the dead bodies piled up in mounds
'Cause when the smack begins to flow
Then I really don't care anymore
Ah, when the heroin is in my blood
And that blood is in my head
Then thank God that I'm as good as dead
Then thank your God that I'm not aware
And thank God that I just don't care
And I guess I just don't know
And I guess I just don't know
5.15 ,THE WHO
In the song, the main character Jimmy has taken the titular train to Brighton, consumed a lot of drugs, recollecting his life with the Mods, the cultural movement to which he belongs (even if he has dropped out for now), and their duels with the Rockers. Jimmy's memories are extremely disjointed, consisting mainly of anger, confusion, violence, sexual frustration, and rootlessness.
"5.15", like many of the songs from Quadrophenia is self-referential - "M-m-m-my generation" is a line - and thus represents an angrily self-centered, teenage disconnection with society, family and the opposite sex. 'Jimmy' was "born in the war", that is, World War II and its aftermath, does not understand why he should care about it (or anything) in the context of his extravagant Mod values. Why should I care, why should I care?
Girls of fifteen
Sexually knowing
The ushers are sniffing
Eau-de-cologning
The seats are seductive
Celibate sitting
Pretty girls digging
Prettier women.
Magically bored
On a quiet street corner
Free frustration
In our minds and our toes
Quiet stormwater
M-m-my generation
Uppers and downers
Either way blood flows.
Chorus:
Inside outside. Leave me alone.
Inside outside. Nowhere is home.
Inside outside, Where have I been?
Out of my brain on the five fifteen.
Out of my brain on a train.
Out of my brain on a train.
On a raft in the quarry
Slowly sinking.
On the back of a lorry
Holy hitching.
Dreadfully sorry
Apple scrumping.
Born in the war
Birthday punching.
He man drag
In the glittering ballroom
Gravely outrageous
In my high heel shoes
Tightly undone
They know what they're showing
Sadly ecstatic
That their heroes are news.
Chorus
Why should I care? Why should I care?
Girls of fifteen
Sexually knowing
The ushers are sniffing
Eau-de-cologning
The seats are seductive
Celibate sitting
Pretty girls digging
Prettier women.
Magically bored
On a quiet street corner
Free frustration
In our minds and our toes
Quiet stormwater
M-m-my generation
Uppers and downers
Either way blood flows.
Chorus:
Inside outside. Leave me alone.
Inside outside. Nowhere is home.
Inside outside, Where have I been?
Out of my brain on the five fifteen.
Out of my brain on a train.
Out of my brain on a train.
On a raft in the quarry
Slowly sinking.
On the back of a lorry
Holy hitching.
Dreadfully sorry
Apple scrumping.
Born in the war
Birthday punching.
He man drag
In the glittering ballroom
Gravely outrageous
In my high heel shoes
Tightly undone
They know what they're showing
Sadly ecstatic
That their heroes are news.
Chorus
Why should I care? Why should I care?
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (The Beatles)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is a song written primarily by John Lennon and credited toLennon/McCartney,1] for The Beatles' 1967 album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Lennon's son, Julian, inspired the song with a nursery school drawing he called "Lucy — in the sky with diamonds". Shortly after the song's release, speculation arose that the first letter of each of the title's nouns intentionally spelled LSD.Though Lennon denied and mocked the idea of a hidden LSD reference, the BBC banned the song.
VERSE 1}
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.
{CHORUS}
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Ah... Ah...
{VERSE 2}
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain,
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies.
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.
Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.
{CHORUS}
Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties.
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile,
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
{CHORUS}
{CHORUS FADEING
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,
Towering over your head.
Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,
And she's gone.
{CHORUS}
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Lucy in the sky with diamonds,
Ah... Ah...
{VERSE 2}
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain,
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies.
Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,
That grow so incredibly high.
Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,
Waiting to take you away.
Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,
And you're gone.
{CHORUS}
Picture yourself on a train in a station,
With plasticine porters with looking glass ties.
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile,
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
{CHORUS}
{CHORUS FADEING
Aaron- Lilly
Lili,take another walk out of your fake world
please put all the drugs out of your hand
you'll see that you can breath without not back up
some much stuff you got to understand
for every step in any walk
any town of any thought
i'll be your guide
for every street of any scene
any place you've never been
i'll be your guide
lili,you know there's still a place for people like us
the same blood runs in every hand
you see its not the wings that makes the angel
just have to move the bats out of your head
for every step in any walk
any town of any thought
i'll be your guide
for every street of any scene
any place you've never been
i'll be your guide
lili,easy as a kiss we'll find an answer
put all your fears back in the shade
don't become a ghost without no colour
cause you're the best paint life ever made
please put all the drugs out of your hand
you'll see that you can breath without not back up
some much stuff you got to understand
for every step in any walk
any town of any thought
i'll be your guide
for every street of any scene
any place you've never been
i'll be your guide
lili,you know there's still a place for people like us
the same blood runs in every hand
you see its not the wings that makes the angel
just have to move the bats out of your head
for every step in any walk
any town of any thought
i'll be your guide
for every street of any scene
any place you've never been
i'll be your guide
lili,easy as a kiss we'll find an answer
put all your fears back in the shade
don't become a ghost without no colour
cause you're the best paint life ever made
ERIC CLAPTON COCAINE
If you wanna hang out
You've gotta take her out
Cocaine
If you wanna get down
Get down on the ground
Cocaine
She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE
If you got that lose
You wanna kick them blues
Cocaine
When your day is done
And you wanna ride on
Cocaine
She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE
If your day is gone
And you wanna ride on
Cocaine
Don't forget this fact
You can't get it back
Cocaine
She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
You've gotta take her out
Cocaine
If you wanna get down
Get down on the ground
Cocaine
She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE
If you got that lose
You wanna kick them blues
Cocaine
When your day is done
And you wanna ride on
Cocaine
She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
COCAINE
If your day is gone
And you wanna ride on
Cocaine
Don't forget this fact
You can't get it back
Cocaine
She's alright,
She's alright,
She's alright,
The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work
All this talk of getting old
It's getting me down my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown
This time I'm comin' down
And I hope you're thinking of me
As you lay down on your side
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
But I know I'm on a losing streak
'Cause I passed down my old street
And if you wanna show, then just let me know
And I'll sing in your ear again
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
'Cause baby, ooh, if heaven calls, I'm coming, too
Just like you said, you leave my life, I'm better off dead
All this talk of getting old
It's getting me down my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown
This time I'm comin' down
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
'Cause baby, ooh, if heaven calls, I'm coming, too
Just like you said, you leave my life, I'm better off dead
But if you wanna show, just let me know
And I'll sing in your ear again
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
I'm never going down, I'm never coming down
No more, no more, no more, no more, no more
I'm never coming down, I'm never going down
No more, no more, no more, no more, no more
(Repeat and Fade Out)
It's getting me down my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown
This time I'm comin' down
And I hope you're thinking of me
As you lay down on your side
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
But I know I'm on a losing streak
'Cause I passed down my old street
And if you wanna show, then just let me know
And I'll sing in your ear again
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
'Cause baby, ooh, if heaven calls, I'm coming, too
Just like you said, you leave my life, I'm better off dead
All this talk of getting old
It's getting me down my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown
This time I'm comin' down
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
'Cause baby, ooh, if heaven calls, I'm coming, too
Just like you said, you leave my life, I'm better off dead
But if you wanna show, just let me know
And I'll sing in your ear again
Now the drugs don't work
They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
Yeah, I know I'll see your face again
I'm never going down, I'm never coming down
No more, no more, no more, no more, no more
I'm never coming down, I'm never going down
No more, no more, no more, no more, no more
(Repeat and Fade Out)


